Documenting 'make config' options

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Thu Jun 7 05:34:49 UTC 2012

Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> On 06/06/2012 11:59, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> I'm describing more of a use case here, not attempting to specify an
>> implementation. If a user invokes 'make', a window is presented to them
>> with various options. It's probably very common that this is met with an
>> initial reaction of "what the hell do these do?", even from the most
>> seasoned of admins (presuming they are unfamiliar with the software they
>> have been asked to install). I claim it would be an improvement to have
>> that information at the fingertips of the make invoker.
> What manner of providing this information would meet your needs?

Personally, a 'pkg-options-descr' text file would suit me just fine.

I don't claim this is a good or bad idea from the general perspective of
FreeBSD users as a group. ;) From that perspective, the menu example
suggested by Warren Block is decent; perhaps with an added button to
"reset to defaults". From a quick persual of dialog(1), I'm sure
something similar in functionality could be used without having to
modify dialog itself.

My loose attempt at requirements is that "enough" information about each
option be in one place in the port skeleton to make an informed decision
about whether to turn that option on or off. There should be a clear
paragraph explaining what the option does, what consequences it might
have if you enable/disable it, and why the default was chosen.

BTW, thank you for changing the subject line.
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Never promise, even by implication, without fulfilling your
promise. The only acceptable alternative to completing an
undertaking is to over-fulfil it.

To betray any promise, explicit or otherwise, will harm you
more than it can harm anyone else.