Documenting 'make config' options

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 21:50:33 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 22:23, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 02:14:46PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 06/06/2012 11:59, Dave Hayes wrote:
>>> I'm describing more of a use case here, not attempting to specify an
>>> implementation. If a user invokes 'make', a window is presented to them
>>> with various options. It's probably very common that this is met with an
>>> initial reaction of "what the hell do these do?", even from the most
>>> seasoned of admins (presuming they are unfamiliar with the software they
>>> have been asked to install). I claim it would be an improvement to have
>>> that information at the fingertips of the make invoker.
>> What manner of providing this information would meet your needs?
>>
> IMHO, something informing what "THAT" is in devel/subversion option
> MOD_DONTDOTHAT would be nice.  :)
>
> Glen
Not something I had bothered looking up till now as I hadnt wanted to
use it but the 2nd hit on google,
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2009-April/161673.html
describes it quite well.
I tend to go with, If i dont know what it is, and its not default, I
probably dont need it.
Unless it looks interesting, then I google it ;)

Maybe an (optional) new file with a longer descriptions of the make
options so as not to crowd the make config dialog?
I dont mind looking up compile time options for software I am installing
but I can see how having a precis available locally might be handy.

Vince