Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jun 5 14:35:02 UTC 2012

O. Hartmann <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
 > 2) Disk and network I/O issues under load. We realized that FreeBSD has
 > some issues in multithreaded environments. Even on 6/12 or 12/24
 > core/thread systems, under heavy load (especially network and CPU load),
 > disk I/O was (is?) poor. This is a no-go in a HPC environment.

This got a lot better when I switched to native AHCI mode
for SATA disks.  You have to have a fairly recent mainboard;
my workstation at the office (about 3 years old) doesn't
support AHCI mode yet.

 > 4) The lack of clustering capabilities. The lack of a clustered
 > filesystem grows more and more important in the area of HPC, where
 > storage systems get spread over a department.

Yes, a clustered file system would be very useful to have,
even outside the HPC area.

Best regards
   Oliver