Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Mon Jun 4 11:03:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 05:03:26AM -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Dear All ,
>
> There is a thread
>
> "Why Are You Using FreeBSD ?"

Hello,

I'm using FreeBSD for most of my tasks and servers and i think it's great, but
this things could be improved:

	- Good FUSE support. On the desktop side, you can't use NTFS for write access.
	  On the server side, you miss things like Gluster. You can't run things like
	  truecrypt because they need it and things like geli/gbde doesn't work on
	  anything but FreeBSD. Ie: FUSE is needed for interoperability.

	- Easier way to replicate FreeBSD infrastructure. I've found that maintain 1 server
	  on FreeBSD is great. Requires lower maintenance that any other operating system.

	  Once you start managing 20 or 30 things change. Suddenly you find yourself needing
	  automated package building because ports are not versioned, so you must copy
	  the repo, maintain local patches and build a tinderbox.

	  If you find problems on a FreeBSD version and need patches you need to
	  build a freebsd-update server to still use it, or start maintaining servers
	  on two different ways: source and binary, which just adds testing time. Would be
	  better if you could switch from source to binary and back in a easier way.

	- Hardware support. If you want to build a server on new atom boards, you
	  will have problems, eg:

	  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/166639

	  Same with laptop and other kind of hardware. Not just on computers, but also
	  on peripherals. AFAIK no single all-in-one printer works fully with FreeBSD, so
	  it's hard to configure as print/scan server.

	- I/O performance: If you do heavy I/O, the system becomes unresponsive. I've read a few
	  days ago on the lists that it was a problem related to priorizing writes over reads
	  and the recommendation was to use gsched, but haven't had time to check.

Regards.
Victor.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.