Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Erich erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Mon Jun 4 01:29:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 30 May 2012 PM 7:20:31 David Chisnall wrote:

> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users.
>
> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it?

one thing which cannot be stressed enough is the responsiveness of FreeBSD under all load conditions. I am surprised how slow Fedora feels occasionally. FreeBSD does not show this behaviour until the load average is double the number of CPUs in a system.

I also noticed meanwhile that another big advantage of FreeBSD is the fact they it does not even try to give you the feeling that all is possible with just a click without being able to work on the low level.

Fedora gives you this feeling but makes you feel totally lost when the click does not work.

This leads to the clear structure of FreeBSD and its configuration. There are not several different systems which might even change from release to release. It is just /etc/.

The clear separation of the base system and the applications (ports) is another clear advantage.

I would not like to see things which are happening now with Fedora 17 happening with FreeBSD.

As I have said before, the only real reason for me not to use FreeBSD on a machine is hardware support.

Erich