Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Adam Strohl adams-freebsd at ateamsystems.com
Sun Jun 3 16:38:27 UTC 2012

On 6/3/2012 19:24, Erich wrote:
> yes, you miss a very simple thing. Updated this morning your ports tree. Your client asks for something for Monday morning for which you need now a program which needs some kind of PNG but you did not install it.
>
> Do you have a machine that is fast enough to upgrade all your ports and still finish what your client needs Monday morning?

All I'd need to do is compile and install the libpng and then compile
the program.   There is no need to "upgrade all my ports".

> The ports tree is not broken as such. Only the installation gets broken in some sense. Have a version number there would allow people to go back to the last known working ports tree, install the software - or whatever has to be done - with a working system.
>
> Of course, the next step will be an upgrade. But only after the work which brings in the money is done.

I don't understand what you are saying here, sorry.  Or why you'd
upgrade all your ports to install 1 new one.

> You do not face this problem on Windows. You can run a 10 year old 'kernel' and still install modern software.

Not true at all.  Lots of Windows software requires minimum service pack
and KB patch levels.