Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Adam Strohl adams-freebsd at ateamsystems.com
Sun Jun 3 10:14:14 UTC 2012

On 6/3/2012 11:14, Erich wrote:
> What I really do not understand in this whole discussion is very simple. Is it just a few people who run into problems like this or is this simply ignored by the people who set the strategy for FreeBSD?
>
> I mention since yeares here that putting version numbers onto the port tree would solve many of these problems. All I get as an answer is that it is not possible.
>
> I think that this should be easily possible with the limitation that older versions do not have security fixes. Yes, but of what help is a security fix if there is no running port for the fix?

I feel like I'm missing something.  Why would you ever want to go back
to an old version of the ports tree?  You're ignoring tons of security
issues!

And if a port build is broken then the maintainer needs to fix it, that
is the solution.

I must be missing something else here, it just seems like the underlying
"need" for this is misguided (and dangerous from a security perspective).