Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Chris Nehren apeiron+freebsd-stable at isuckatdomains.net
Sat Jun 2 18:56:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 14:11:06 -0400 , Paul Mather wrote:
> I'm not sure what the solution is for the end user.  I know I get
> somewhat leery of updating my ports if I see a large number of changes
> coming via portsnap (like the 4000+ that accompanied the recent libpng
> upgrade) and there is nothing new in UPDATING (which, happily wasn't
> the case with the libpng upgrade).  Usually, I wait a while for the
> dust to clear and an UPDATING entry potentially to appear.

If you're concerned about things breaking, don't follow the bleeding
edge. This seems to be common sense.

> Maybe the solution is to track the freebsd-ports mailing list get get
> advanced warning of large changes, but that would mean following
> another high-volume list. :-(

And any decent mailer setup can filter those messages for you, leaving
only the messages relevant to ports you're interested in. There are also
systems like gmane which provide an NNTP feed for mailing lists.
Combined with a newsreader with good killfile / scoring features, it
shouldn't be hard to keep up.

--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren