Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Jun 2 05:22:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 05:20:39PM +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Maybe FreeBSD should consider migrating to pkgsrc?

I'm not arguing that your other points are invalid (in particular,
I agree that the xorg change was really painful, and for a long time
amd64 lagged i386 badly), but there is one very major blocker for this
particular idea.  If you browse the following URL:

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/PackageSystemsComparison

You'll see that pkgsrc is around 12k packages.  Although our graph
is stale, per the portsmon/FreshPorts URLs, we're approaching 24k
ports.

So: while it's been suggested before, it's not really workable.

mcl