FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1 amd64 fails to mount ZFS rootfs with error 2 when system has more than 3584MB of RAM

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 31 14:37:51 UTC 2012

on 31/07/2012 06:22 Richard Yao said the following:
> Dear Everyone,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1 amd64 on ZFS in KVM on Gentoo Linux on
> ZFS. The root pool uses ashift=13 and is on a single disk. The kernel
> fails to mount the root filesystem if the system has more than 3584MB of
> RAM. I did a manual binary search to try to find the exact upper limit,
> but stopped when I tried 3648MB.
>
> FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE works perfectly.

Are you able to catch dmesg up to mount failure?
If yes, then please set vfs.zfs.debug=1 in loader.conf or at the prompt and share
the messages.

--
Andriy Gapon