Strange 'hangs' with RELENG_9

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 20 02:37:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 21:46 +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
> On 01/19/12 21:05, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > I saw in the eventtimers(7) manpage that there's a sysctl to change the
> > timer, but when I used it the system timing went completely wonky (ntpd
> > reported it was off by many seconds, a few seconds after I changed it).
> > When I just tried it again the system locked up and had to be power
> > cycled.  (I'm trying this on old hardware where my only choices are
> > i8254 and RTC, and changing to RTC apparently doesn't work well.)  So I
> > didn't want to recommend it to someone else. :)
>
> That's strange. On all systems I have, I can safely set any event timer
> in any way. Though for better precision it is better to set them using
> loader tunable.

As it turns out, this isn't a problem with eventtimers in any way, sorry
for the confusion.

I had checked out and built a completely clean RELENG_9_0_0_RELEASE so
that I could be sure I was testing against the offical release before
telling the OP "I do/don't see similar problems."  As it turns out, one
of my local hacks is required if I want use the RTC clock for anything
(buggy old hardware).  Once I applied that patch, I can now switch
eventtimers without any problems.

-- Ian