HPN-SSH question

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 16:40:52 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net>
To: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
Cc: "ml-freebsd-stable Stable" <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:41 AM
Subject: Re: HPN-SSH question

> On 14. Jan 2012, at 23:56 , Steven Hartland wrote:
>
>> On a similar note I'm actually quite concerned by the inclusion of
>> these patches by default in the OS version of ssh as we've seen
>> several cases of it causing noticeable performance degradation
>> instead of improvement.
>>
>> I've not tested on 9, but this was certainly the case on 8.2.
>
> 8.2 did not shipped them so you had installed them yourself?
>
> What kind of performance degradations and in which kind of environment
> an how "noticeable"?

Yep we installed openssh-portable + HPN and experienced noticeably
reduced transfer rates on high latency links, exactly the opposite
as one would expect. I don't have the exact figures I'm afraid as
we just went straight back to standard ssh.

I'll try and get some time to retest and provide some proper
results.

    Regards
    Steve