UFS corruption panic

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 04:53:08 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Joe Holden <jwhlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Guys....
>
> Is a panic **really** appropriate for a filesystem that isn't even in
> fstab?
>
> ie;
> panic: ufs_dirbad: /mnt: bad dir ino 3229 at offset 0: mangled entry
>
> Which happened to be an file-backed md volume that got changed as I forgot
> to unmount it beforehand, however as a result there is now inconsistencies
> and probably data corruption or even missing data on other important
> filesystems (ie; /, /var etc) because there wasn't even a sync or any kind
> of other sensible behaviour.
>
> This is on a production box, which also has gmirror so I now have no idea
> what state it's going to be in when I can get a display attached.
>
> Surely the appropriate response here for non-critical filesystems is to
> warn and suggest manually inspecting it as turning a working production box
> into one thats dead in the water seems a little extreme.

    That's usually the sign that something went bonkers with the
underlying filesystem to the extent that it's corrupt beyond all
repair. In this case though, I wouldn't necessarily say that the
md-backed filesystem is the one that's corrupt -- it might be the root
filesystem.
    What version of FreeBSD are you using and what do you have enabled
in the filesystem (FFS, UFS1, UFS2, SU, SUJ..)?
Thanks,
-Garrett