FreeBSD 9 & recompile ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 13 10:00:22 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 01:52, George Kontostanos wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM, George Kontostanos
> <gkontos.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings all and my apologies for cross posting!
>>
>> There seems to be a confusion regarding the ABI change in FreeBSD 9
>> and if this affects the usual upgrade path which includes a full port
>> rebuild.
>>
>> The relevant post is here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=28831
>>
>> Frankly, I am also confused because I remember a relevant discussion a
>> few months ago in the lists. Traditionally a major RELEASE upgrade
>> requires a full ports rebuild, however this time there is no
>> COMPAT_FREEBSD8 in GENERIC and most upgraded systems seem to be
>> working fine. On the other hand this is stated in UPDATING:
>>
>> 20110828:
>>        Bump the shared library version numbers for libraries that
>>        do not use symbol versioning, have changed the ABI compared
>>        to stable/8 and which shared library version was not bumped.
>>        Done as part of 9.0-RELEASE cycle.
>>
>> Your input would be appreciated!

> Hmm, anyone :) ?

If your question is, "Do I need to rebuild my ports when doing a major
OS version upgrade?" the answer is always "Yes."

The method described at the end of the portmaster man page is preferred,
whether you actually use portmaster to do the upgrade or not. (I.e.,
good backups, delete everything, start over from scratch.)

hth,

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra