Upgrade from 8.2-STABLE to 9.0-RELEASE wedges on SuperMicro H8DGiF-based system

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Jan 9 19:11:49 UTC 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 8:03 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:

> Small correction:  these are AMD Opteron 6218 CPUs, not 2218.
>
>> Hardware (alphadrive):
>>  Chenbro 5U rackmount chassis with 24 hot-swap drive bays
>>  SuperMicro H8DGi-F motherboard
>>  AMD Opteron 6218 CPU (8-cores at 2.0 GHz)

You meant Opteron 6128 perhaps?

This looks weird coincidence indeed and considering the comments so far I too would question ACPI (BIOS revision, settings etc) and the possibility for some hardware going bad.

Is it possible that you might have touched any hardware just before the upgrade? I had few cases an old system "die" on me when doing "minor" cleaning etc just before an update…

Daniel