x11/nvidia-driver: crash with FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 when module loaded via /boot/loader.conf

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 3 12:48:48 UTC 2012

On 01/03/12 13:11, Christian Gusenbauer wrote:
> Hi Oliver!
>
> I'm using stable/9 and amd64 setup, too, but I do not experience such page
> faults as you do. I've an older GeForce 7600 GT card and I'm using driver
> 285.05.09 - neither OS nor driver built with clang. Perhaps it's a clang
> issue?
>
> Ciao,
> Christian.
>
> On Tuesday 03 January 2012 11:15:20 O. Hartmann wrote:
>> On one of my FreeBSD 9.0 boxes running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 (CLANG
>> built), equipted with a nVidia GT760Ti graphics board, loading the
>> nvidia module via /boot/loader.conf results in a page fault with random
>> error messages before rebooting.
>>
>> Booting the box without the nvidia.ko module loaded in he preboot phase,
>> results in a stable system. I can then load the module via kldload and
>> the system jumps then into X11-screen as usual.
>>
>> I recompile x11/nvidia-driver on a regular basis when recompiling the
>> kernel, so the module is always up to date and en par with the kernel
>> sources.
>>
>> The problem occurs idendependently of having kernel module drm.ko loaded
>> or not. I also tried falling back to the older nvidia driver 285.05.09
>> (I use at the moment successfully 290.10).
>>
>> Before issuing a PR and doing a full debug reconfiguration of my box,
>> I'd like to ask whether this is a commong, well known problem since with
>> FreeBSD 9.0, I'd like to stay with STABLE rather than with RELEASE.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver

Hello Christian,
I just checked with a laptop which has a dedicated nVidia Quadro 3100M
(Dell Latidude E6510), which has also world and kernel build with CLANG.
I do not experience this pagefault on that laptop either. I also have a
box running nearly the same hardware and the same GTX560Ti, but FreeBSD
10.0-CURRENT, and this box' OS is also built via CLANG. There is also no
issue. Maybe it's an BIOS issue triggered by the BIOS.
I guess, I can not circumvent any debugging ...

Thanks,
regards,
Oliver