[CFT] modular kernel config
dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 28 22:15:14 UTC 2012
On 2/28/2012 10:48 AM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> You will sure go really far with this kind of "It is broken ? Let's
> not fix it and disable it instead" mentality, even more when coming
> from a committer.
> As long as there will be these kind of comments around here, FreeBSD
> will deserve nothing but to keep dying piece by piece, and it will be
In general, I tend to agree with you, but in this case it's useful to
know the history of the flowtable option.
1. It was introduced in -current
2. It received fairly good testing, was pronounced good and useful, and
3. Several releases happened with flowtable.
4. Users started to report problems that were ultimately tracked down to
5. Ultimately it was decided that flowtable was not a universal good.
6. The developer of the option agreed that it should be disabled by
default until such time as it can be fixed.
7. The fixing hasn't happened yet.
While generally fixing things is the right solution, if the fix is
complex (or worse, unknown AND complex) then disabling by default is a
It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.
Breadth of IT experience, and depth of knowledge in the DNS.
Yours for the right price. :) http://SupersetSolutions.com/
More information about the freebsd-stable