zfs, 1 gig of RAM and periodic weekly

Tue Feb 28 15:33:24 UTC 2012

Quoting "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz at norma.perm.ru> (from Tue, 28 Feb
2012 10:10:30 +0600):

> Hi.
>
> On 28.02.2012 01:02, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>> regardless of the pool size ?
>>
>> I was planning on making an atom board a file server for my home,
>> and I have two options: soekris
>> net6501 2GB RAM and intel board powered by the 330 atom (says 2GB
>> limited as well). My plans are
>> to use from 4 up to 8 disks, and they should be 2TB at least.
>>
>> As its for home use, some p2p software and mostly music listening
>> and sometimes movie streaming.
>>
>> should 2GB be that bad, that I should drop it and use UFS instead ?
>>
>> I may run any version of FreeBSD on it, was planning on 9-STABLE or 9.1.
>>
> In the same time I have a couple of hosts successfully running zfs
> on 768 Megs and on 1 Gig of RAM. Both i386.
> And they aren't affected by the periodic weekly for some reason. And
> they are used only as fileservers.
>
> So when I see all these advices to add a gazillion gigabytes of RAM
> to use zfs - I don't see the connection.

The connection is performance and/or lack of tuning.

At home I haven't a problem to run a system with ZFS and 768MB and 1GB
(well, the 1GB system has hardware problems, so it is degraded to a
toybox to test things now, but ZFS is still rock solid on it). At a
place where more than a handfull of people would access such a system
in a way where the performance of big file transfers matter (not
streaming, not just watching a movie on one system, ...), I would also
recommend more RAM.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
  Michelle: You expect me to live in a tiny little hole?
  Fry: It'd be deeper, but I'm standing on a gopher.