siisch1: Error while READ LOG EXT

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Feb 14 14:30:46 UTC 2012

On 2/10/2012 8:43 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 8:27 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> I wanted to make you aware of this commit that just came through:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cam/ata/ata_da.c
>
> Thanks, I did see that.  I was going to wait until Monday to csup up
> once all the weekend level zeros are done.  The prior kernels from Nov
> 28th never saw these READ LOG EXT errors on either of these 2 big zfs boxes

So far so good. Unfortunately, I had to make 2 changes to the box
showing the problem the most. I changed the cable (the new one does seem
to fit more snug) as well as updated the code.  I havent done many level
0 dumps to it (the real test will be the weekend), but so far so good.
On the other box that did show the same READ LOG EXT error, I also
updated the kernel, but made no hardware changes. It too has not yet
shown any errors since the upgrade.

I changed the cable at 8am local time yesterday, and I take snapshots of
smartctl at 5am

I did see this error increase in 24hrs, but that was on a disk that was
off the motherboard.  Perhaps a new cable for it too.

< 0x000a  2           12  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a
COMRESET
---
> 0x000a  2            6  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a
COMRESET

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400