zfs arc and amount of wired memory

Thu Feb 9 13:48:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

this only applies to old systems (slooow disks, no NCQ support), or very fast USB3 memory sticks. Current (I would say at least 2-3 year old) hardware is slowed down by USB2.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors.

Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> hat geschrieben:On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Eugene M. Zheganin <emz at norma.perm.ru> wrote:
>> On 08.02.2012 18:15, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> I can't remember to have seen any mention of SWAP on ZFS being safe
>>> now. So if nobody can provide a reference to a place which tells that
>>> the problems with SWAP on ZFS are fixed:
>>>  1. do not use SWAP on ZFS
>>>  2. see 1.
>>>  3. check if you see the same problem without SWAP on ZFS (btw. see 1.)
>>>
>> So, if a swap have to be used, and, it has to be backed up with something
>> like gmirror so it won't come down with one of the disks, there's no need to
>> use zfs for system.
>>
>> This makes zfs only useful in cases where you need to store something on a
>> couple+ of terabytes, still having OS on ufs. Occam's razor and so on.
>
> Or, you plug a USB stick into the back (or even inside the case as a
> lot of mobos have internal USB connectors now) and use that for swap.

That also works well for adding L2ARC (cache) to the ZFS pool as well.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com