zfs arc and amount of wired memory

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Wed Feb 8 18:25:40 UTC 2012

Hi.

On 08.02.2012 18:15, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> I can't remember to have seen any mention of SWAP on ZFS being safe
> now. So if nobody can provide a reference to a place which tells that
> the problems with SWAP on ZFS are fixed:
>   1. do not use SWAP on ZFS
>   2. see 1.
>   3. check if you see the same problem without SWAP on ZFS (btw. see 1.)

So, if a swap have to be used, and, it has to be backed up with
something like gmirror so it won't come down with one of the disks,
there's no need to use zfs for system.

This makes zfs only useful in cases where you need to store something on
a couple+ of terabytes, still having OS on ufs. Occam's razor and so on.

Thanks for explanation.
Eugene.