how to destroy zfs parent filesystem without destroying children - corrupted file causing kernel panick

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Dec 31 14:32:39 UTC 2012

Greg Bonett <greg.bonett at gmail.com> wrote:

> > My next plan would be reporting the problem with sufficient
> > information so the bug can be fixed.
> >
> > Destroying the dataset or the whole pool seems like papering over the
> > real issue to me and you could still do it if the PR gets ignored for
> > too long or a developer agrees that this is the only option.
> >

> ok, that's a good idea - do you know where I should report this problem?

I'd start with freebsd-fs@ and file a proper PR if there's
still no response after a few weeks or so.

If you haven't already, you might want to skim through:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?&text=zfs
first, to see if your problem is already known.

> unfortunately, I don't know how I can provide the problematic file because
> any read, cp, or mv causes kernel panic.

Additional information about the panic itself will probably do at
the beginning, you can always provide more later if someone asks for
it.

For details see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Fabian