how to destroy zfs parent filesystem without destroying children - corrupted file causing kernel panick

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 30 06:59:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Greg Bonett <greg.bonett at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Does:
> >
> > cat /dev/null > bad.file
> >
> > Cause a kernel panic?
> >

> ah, sadly that does cause a kernel panic. I hadn't tried it though, thanks
> for the suggestion.

It's probably a long shot, but you may try removing bad file using
illumos (ex opensolaris) system (or liveCD). In the past it used to be
a little bit more robust than FreeBSD when it came to dealing with
filesystem corruption. In one case I had illumos printed out a message
about corrupt pool and remained up and running while FreeBSD would
just crash when I tried mounting the pool.

--Artem