9.1 minimal ram requirements

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Dec 28 17:51:27 UTC 2012

In an ideal world, the bits that will almost certainly become FreeBSD 9.1
would not appear on the masters, or any of the mirrors, until the same
instant that the release announcement is set to freebsd-announce at FreeBSD.org.

In practice this doesn't happen.  If there is some clever way for that to
happen, we haven't found it yet.

It has happened in the past that even as the release bits were propogating,
One Last Big Bug was found and those bits had to be pulled and re-done.  It
would have looked like you had FreeBSD Release X.Y but you wouldn't have had
the final bits that everyone else did.

I understand your frustration that this process takes days, and in general
the frustration with this particular release -- more than you could possibly
believe.  However, until we figure out the process that would exist in an
ideal world, this is what we have, and so if you need something that will be
in 9.1, your options at this moment are: build an install from 9-STABLE; find
one of the snapshots (and no, I am not the one to ask, sorry); or wait.

Sorry, but that's the best I can offer right now.

mcl