ipv6_addrs_IF aliases in rc.conf(5)

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Sat Dec 22 17:14:18 UTC 2012

Quoth =?UTF-8?B?xYF1a2FzeiBXxIVzaWtvd3NraQ==?= <lukasz at wasikowski.net>:
> W dniu 2012-12-22 04:41, Kimmo Paasiala pisze:
>
> > Yeah, this is problem in network.subr. An interface is not recognized
> > as IPv6 capable if the interface is not in "ipv6_network_interfaces"
> > and there's no "ifconfig_IF_ipv6" in rc.conf(5), bummer. For IPv4 it
> > "just works" because the interface is always assumed to be IPv4
> > capable.
>
> Ok, I used ifconfig_em0_ipv6="up" and it worked. So it looks like this:

The documented way to do this is to just set the link-local address in
ifconfig_IF_ipv6, since an interface is required to have a link-local
address. Either configure an fe80:: address explicitly or set

    ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 auto_linklocal"

Alternatively, if you set ipv6_activate_all_interfaces all interfaces
will be considered IPv6-capable.

Ben