Will we get a RELEASE-9.1 for Christmas?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 21 17:26:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 09:55:00AM -0600, ajtiM wrote:
> On Friday 21 December 2012 08:12:49 Walter Hurry wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 23:40:19 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > > I've just finished committing fixes for this problem to the master and
> > > release-1.0 branches in Github.  If anyone is feeling enthusiastic and
> > > would like to try pulling those sources and confirming that their
> > > favourite packages no longer generate scads of nasty errors when
> > > re-analysing shlib dependencies, I'd be grateful.
> >
> > Before I had a chance to try the git version, pkg-1.0.4 turned up in the
> > ports. Good work!
> >
> > Hmm...
> >
> > $ pkg info pkg
> > pkg-1.0.4                      New generation package manager
> > $ pkg -v
> > 1.0.3
> > $
> >
> > Forgotten (by bapt I assume) again?
> >
> > A definite improvement in 'pkg ckeck -Ba' though; many fewer reported
> > exceptions than before (openjdk7 and firefox are OK now):
> >
> > $ sudo pkg check -Ba
> > pkg: (libreoffice-3.5.7_1) /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/program/
> > configmgr.uno.so - shared library libxmlreader.so not found
> > pkg: (virtualbox-ose-4.1.22) /usr/local/bin/VBoxBalloonCtrl - shared
> > library VBoxRT.so not found
> > <other virtualbox-ose exceptions snipped for brevity>
> >
> > $ locate libxmlreader.so
> > /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/ure/lib/libxmlreader.so
> > $ locate VBoxRT.so
> > /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so
> > $ file /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/ure/lib/libxmlreader.so
> > /usr/local/lib/libreoffice/ure/lib/libxmlreader.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared
> > object, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, stripped
> > $ file /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so
> > /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxRT.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object,
> > x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, not stripped
> > $

> I try to update but I am not sure how. I am usin FreeBSD 9.1 RC3 and I have in
> my make.conf WITH_PKGNG=yes and it works (I did pkg2ng long time ago). I use
> portmaster. If I put as I got after error of update:
> WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes
>
> - switch to pkgng:
>     1) Add WITHOUT_PKGNG to /etc/make.conf
>     2) Install ports-mgmt/pkg
>     3) Convert your package database by running pkg2ng
>     4) Remove WITHOUT_PKGNG from /etc/make.conf
>
> *** [pre-everything] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.

That is the seat belt that means that you have WITH_PKGNG but you also have an
incomplete conversion to pkgng

It tests if there are any old package installed, and should leave you alone if
you have completly and cleanly switch to pkgng.

That should have been added long ago.

regards,
Bapt