freebsd-update mergemaster options

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Tue Dec 11 00:16:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

On an 8.2 box, I run

freebsd-update -r 8.3-RELEASE upgrade

I am getting hundreds of files with "conflicts" like:

<<<<<<< current version
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/auth.conf,v 1.6.32.1.4.1 2010/06/14 02:09:06 kensmith Exp $
=======
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/auth.conf,v 1.6.32.1.8.1 2012/03/03 06:15:13 kensmith Exp $

... which is just tremendously unhelpful. I'm using the default freebsd-update configuration. Per an old mail from the archives I made sure I have /etc/mergemaster.rc setup as below, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?  In the past I've just given up on using freebsd-update and gone back to manually compiling and installing world, but for this box I'd really like not to.

Ask

$ cat /etc/mergemaster.rc
# Automatically install files that do not exist
AUTO_INSTALL='yes'
# Automatically upgrade files that have not been edited
AUTO_UPGRADE='yes'
# Ignore files that I don't want changed
IGNORE_FILES='/etc/motd'
# Do not display changes that only affect whitespace
DIFF_FLAG="'.Bub'"
# Ignore CVS id lines to stop replacing files where only that line has changed
DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD:.*[$]'