Re: FreeBSD 9-STABLE: jail + rctl … what is datasize?

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 4 07:15:45 UTC 2012

Wiadomość napisana przez Hub- FreeBSD w dniu 1 gru 2012, o godz. 20:37:
> Eagerly awaiting the %cpu ability that is in 10, I'm starting to play with using this … not so much to deny, but to allow me to more accurately calculate usage …
>
> when I do an 'rctl -u' for a jail, I see two values:
>
> datasize=11173888
> memoryuse=88137728
>
> My question is simple … does memoryuse *include* datasize?  Or is total memory use memoryuse+datasize?
>
> Basically, memoryuse == sum of the RSS column in ps … vmemoryuse is sum of the VSZ … one of them has to include the datasize, but is it VSZ or RSS?

VSZ.  The datasize is exactly the same as with setrlimit(2); it's a sum
of data segment sizes.  In most cases you don't want to use it - use memoryuse
and vmemoryuse instead.

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?