FreeBSD 8.3-R sysinstall does not "see" disks that are
recognized during boot
Harris, James R
james.r.harris at intel.com
Wed Apr 18 17:23:23 UTC 2012
>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Andy Dills <andy at xecu.net>
>To: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>Subject: FreeBSD 8.3-R sysinstall does not "see" disks that are recognized
> during boot
>I've got a new supermicro server I'm trying to get FreeBSD on. It uses the
>Intel c602 chipset, and it's my understanding that support for that
>chipset (c60X) was recently added via the isci driver. Ok, great, that
>explains why 8.2-R and 9.0-R didn't see the drives.
>So, I grabbed the memstick image of 8.3-RELEASE that is on the ftp server,
>booted it up, and sure enough, as the dmesg scrolls I see it now properly
>recognizes da0 and da1, as it should (the memstick is da2). It sees the
>disks fine at this point, everything looks good.
>However, once the system finishes booting and loads into sysinstall, and I
>go to partition the drives, I get "No disks found! Please verify that your
>disk controller is being properly loaded at boot time".
>Any suggestions for avenues to troubleshoot this? I have pictures to
>document if it helps.
>Seems very odd. I confirmed the behavior with the SATA set to IDE, AHCI,
>and RAID modes. (The drives were recognized as da0 and da1 during bootup
>in all three modes, but not by sysinstall.)
Andy and I worked this out offline - workaround was to go to Options|Re-scan which caused the devices to show up in the sysinstall menu. I'm adding details here for future reference.
1) C60x chipsets have the 6 traditional SATA ports, plus 4 or 8 SAS ports. Only the latter are controlled by the isci(4) driver.
2) The IDE/AHCI/RAID modes apply only to the traditional SATA ports.
3) In Andy's case, going to Options|Re-scan Devices caused the disks to show up. This problem seems to be system or platform-dependent, as I was not able to reproduce with 8.3 memstick image on my C600 systems.
4) There was a problem with initial device scan using isci(4) on 7-STABLE, which necessitated r233371. This was MFC'd back to 8-STABLE, but after 8.3 was released. I'm fairly convinced this is the root cause of Andy's problem, but don't have any easy way to verify.
More information about the freebsd-stable