ZFS options for FreeBSD 8.3

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Apr 16 18:10:46 UTC 2012

On Apr 16, 2012, at 9:57 AM, carlopmart wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD 8.3 amd64 release in an ESXi server. Due to some limitations, I can only assign 2GiB of RAM to this virtual machine and I need to use ZFS as filesystem to store some data (MySQL databases).

That combination doesn't make much sense, frankly.

ZFS is very memory hungry--  I wouldn't want to run it on anything with less than 4GB of RAM, although other folks around here have reported successful setups under 2GB of RAM with some tuning.  However, the data integrity benefits of ZFS mostly come from it talking directly to disks in JBOD configuration; if ZFS is just running in a VM and talking to a filesystem image, it loses much of the advantage which it might otherwise provide.

You'd almost certainly get better MySQL performance by going with UFSv2 and having the DB use most of the RAM, instead of having it be sucked away by ZFS.

Regards,
--
-Chuck