ZFS options for FreeBSD 8.3

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:57:50 UTC 2012

Hi all,

  I have installed FreeBSD 8.3 amd64 release in an ESXi server. Due to
some limitations, I can only assign 2GiB of RAM to this virtual machine
and I need to use ZFS as filesystem to store some data (MySQL databases).

  According to http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide I have configured
some options:

vfs.zfs.write_limit_override=268435456
kern.maxvnodes=250000

  According to ZFS version, FreeBSD 8,3 comes with version 28, and
reading previous guide there is not need to adjust nothing more.

  But what about l2arc options?? Do I need to adjust vfs.zfs.arc_max and
vm.kmem_size options?? How can I calculate these values??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com