ixgbe v2.3.11 won't negotiate LACP, v2.4.4 does

Chris Forgeron cforgeron at acsi.ca
Wed Apr 11 19:50:12 UTC 2012

I think there's still some problems with LACP in the ixgbe 2.4.4 code.

When I use 2.4.4, I am able to establish the LACP link, as stated below. Pings, and light traffic all works well. However, if I start driving some heavier NFS traffic 20-40+ MB/s)  across the link from an ESXi server, I run into networking issues where the NFS shares hosted by FreeBSD over the ixgbe LACP link disappear, timeouts on the ESXi end, etc.

If I set the FreeBSD ixgbe ports to FEC instead of LACP, everything continues to work.

This is on FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE as of March 17th.

My feeling is that something subtle is wrong still in the LACP code for ixgbe?

LACP links for bce work fine under the same Dell PowerConnect switch, but those are 1 gig links, not 10 gig links.  In my tests, my LAG is set to Dynamic, not static, and has the proper MTU's (all set to 9000).

Only with LACP mode for the laggport do I have these problems.

How can I help Jack (or others) diagnose and test this further?

Thanks.