7-stable: Root mount problem (mpt, probing / timing related)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Sep 20 17:08:42 UTC 2011

Gary Palmer wrote:
 > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 03:41:58PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I've updated a server with mpt controller to the latest
 > > 7-stable (ok, it's 7-stable from last week).  During the
 > > boot sequence, the disk connected to the mpt controller (da0)
 > > seems to be probed too late, i.e. just _after_ the kernel
 > > tries to mount the root file system.  It's just a fraction
 > > of a second too late.
 > >
 > > This is a screen shot of the situation:
 > >
 > > http://www.secnetix.de/olli/tmp2/screenshot-boot.jpg
 > >
 > > Of course, I can enter "ufs:da0s1a" at the rootmount prompt,
 > > and the machine continues to boot fine.  But this is a
 > > server that should be able to boot unattended, so I need
 > > this to be fixed.
 > >
 > > What's the "official" way to fix this?  I think someone else
 > > had a similar problem some time ago, but a quick search of
 > > the lists doesn't yield anything.
 > >
 > > (BTW:  Interestingly, the same machine boots fine without
 > > hickup when booting 8-stable which is installed on another
 > > Slice of the same disk.  This could be just coincidence,
 > > maybe the timing of probing is slightly different between
 > > 7-stable and 8-stable.)
 >
 > Does increasing the
 >
 > kern.cam.scsi_delay
 >
 > loader tunable help at all?

It seems to help ...  I have now rebooted three times with
scsi_delay set to 10000, and it worked so far (the problem
did not always occur before, so I have to try several times).
A value of 5000 was not sufficient.

First I had tried kern.cam.boot_delay, which seems to be
specifically for this kind of situation (according to the
description), but it didn't help at all.  Even very large
values didn't help; I tried up to 30000.

I'm a little surprised that scsi_delay helps, but boot_delay
doesn't.  I would have expected it to be the other way round.

Anyway -- Thank you very much for the hint!

Best regards
   Oliver

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn