FS corruption between 8-STABLE and 7-STABLE

Arnaud Lacombe lacombar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:21:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

I got a strange boot failure when booting a FreeBSD 7-stable after a
8-stable kernel, with a FreeBSD 7.4 kernel:

pid 100 (fsck_ufs), uid 0: exited on signal 8
pid 101 (fsck_ufs), uid 0: exited on signal 8
WARNING: R/W mount of / denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
WARNING: R/W mount of / denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

it would seem that going 8-STABLE change the filesystem in such a way
7-STABLE cannot be booted after.

Thanks guys ...

 - Arnaud

ps: please CC me, I'm not subscribed to that list