devfs and unionfs oddity

Guy Helmer guy.helmer at palisadesystems.com
Thu Oct 27 16:05:01 UTC 2011

On a build server, I have a union mount of a FreeBSD o/s build from a point-in-time under a build directory, and then I have devfs mounted on dev in the build directory as well so I can do a chroot install of packages for particular target o/s versions.

mount shows this:
  <below>:/usr/app8xbuild/os-image on /usr/autobuild/images/product-image (unionfs, local)
  devfs on /usr/autobuild/images/product-image/dev (devfs, local, multilabel)

and the system does a chroot to /usr/autobuild/images/product-image/ while installing the ports for the product.

It seems impossible, but at times, after unmounting /usr/autobuild/images/product-image/dev and /usr/autobuild/images/product-image, a regular file /usr/autobuild/images/product-image/dev/null will be left as a result of redirecting some output to /dev/null during the port installs.

Could there be some odd interaction of devfs and unions that allows this to happen?

This message has been scanned by ComplianceSafe, powered by Palisade's PacketSure.