ntpd couldn't resolve host name on system boot

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Oct 25 09:34:22 UTC 2011

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:50:29AM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> I have a problem with ntpd on many of our servers running
>> 8.2-RELEASE or newer. Some of them are newly installed, most of them
>> are 7.x upgraded to 8.2 or 8-STABLE amd64 with GENERIC.
>>
>> Ntpd can't resolve host names on boot. This error did not existed on 7.x

[...]

>> I know there is rc.d/netwait in 8-STABLE, but it is not available on
>> 8.2-RELEASE and I think that there is some regression as this error
>> was not there in the time of FreeBSD 7.x.
>
> The problem is that the networking layer is not TRULY available by the
> time ntpd starts.  This does have to do with NIC drivers, but the same
> behaviour can be seen on all NICs, including excellent ones like em(4).
>
> You can use the rc.conf netwait_* variables to solve this problem.  I'm
> the author of the script that got committed so that's how I know.  :-)
> An example:
>
> netwait_enable="yes"
> netwait_ip="4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2"
> netwait_if="em0"
>
> If you need help setting this up, let me know.

Yes, I know you are the author and I tested one of the earlier version
floating around a mailing list, and I already have it on some 8-STABLE
machines where it is included in base /etc/rc.d - thank you for your work!
My main concern is that I never needed it on previous FreeBSD versions.
I am using ntpdate / ntpd from FreeBSD 4.x days and it always worked
fine. So there is some "bad change" on FreeBSD 8.x.

Miroslav Lachman