Call for testers : ALi/ULi M5261/M5263 ethernet controller

Marco Steinbach coco at executive-computing.de
Wed Oct 19 19:20:59 UTC 2011

YongHyeon PYUN wrote on 19.10.2011 20:43:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:09:41PM +0200, Marco Steinbach wrote:
>> YongHyeon PYUN wrote on 17.10.2011 02:22:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you have ALi/ULi M5261/M5263 ethernet controller please try the
>>> patch at the following URL and let me know how it works.
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/dc/dc.uli562x.diff
>>>
>>> The patch was generated against latest HEAD and it should be
>>> cleanly applied to latest stable/8 and stable/7.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Thank you for working on this.  Although the patch applies cleanly, it
>> doesn't seem to work for me.  I'm getting the following message upon boot:
>>
>> dc0: <ULi M5263 FastEthernet> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem
>> 0xff6fec00-0xff6fecff irq 17 at device 17.0 on pci0
>> dc0: attaching PHYs failed
>> device_attach: dc0 attach returned 6
>>
>> The device doesn't show up in ifconfig.
>>
>> FreeBSD x2.c0c0.intra 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #2 r226509M: Wed Oct
>> 19 11:37:33 CEST 2011
>> root at x2.c0c0.intra:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>>

>> dc0 at pci0:0:17:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x52631849 chip=0x526310b9
>> rev=0x40 hdr=0x00
>>     vendor     = 'Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi/ULi)'
>>     device     = 'ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller (Albatron K8ULTRA-U
>> Pro)'
>>     class      = network
>>     subclass   = ethernet
>>

>> It's a lab machine, so I'm completely free to try out anything you might
>> suggest.
>>

> Thanks for testing!
> I already got a feedback from user and the user also said the patch
> does not work. I'm trying to debug the issue as the user is willing
> to provide remote access. However it seems it's somewhat hard for
> the user to setup remote debugging environments.
> BTW, can you setup remote debugging environments like the following
> URL?
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/remote_debugging.txt
>
> I'll let you know if I manage to make it work.

The machine is hooked up by serial console, anyway.  I'll set something
up for you to have remote access, including flipping the power switch on
the box.

It's an ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 Mainboard -- If the other user runs the
same, he might not need to go through setting up things, but just check
on eventual results.

Give me a moment, I'll get back to you off-list in about an hour.

MfG CoCo