Possible: Configure SAS Sun Jbod J4200 ?

Mike Pumford mpumford at mpcdata.com
Wed Nov 30 15:51:21 UTC 2011

Denny Schierz wrote:
> hi,
>
> we have a Sun Jbod SAS J4200 and actually there is a running daemon
> under Solaris 10, which is needed, to configure the JBOD over a
> (badly) Java Sun  tool from a other host machine (Windows XP, for
> example). If I switch from Solaris to FreeBSD, I don't know, if I can
> view the status and configure from/over FBSD…
>
> The Jbod is only connected through the SAS channel, nothing more. :-/
> It means, it doest' have any Network/serial access …

Does it appear as an SES device? If it does you might be able to do some
basic status and control operation using sg3_utils. There isn't a
guarantee of this as quite a lot of enclosures provide their more
serious control operations through vendor specific requests and channels.

Mike

--
Mike Pumford, Senior Software Engineer
MPC Data Limited