TCP Reassembly Issues

Kris Bauer kristoph.bauer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:29:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am currently experiencing an issue with FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 r227852 where the
net.inet.tcp.reass.curesegments value is constantly increasing (and not
descreasing when there is nominal traffic with the box).  It is causing tcp
slowdowns as described with kern/155407:

Exhausted net.inet.tcp.reass.maxsegments block recovering tcp session (for
this socket and any other socket waiting for retransmited packets). After
exhausted net.inet.tcp.reass.maxsegments allocation new entry in tcp_reass
failed (for this socket and any other socket waiting for retransmited
packets).

I have increased the reass.maxsegments value to 16384 to temporarily avoid
the problem, but the cursegments number keeps rising and it seems it will
occur again.

Is this an issue that anyone else has seen?  I can provide more information
if need be.

Thanks,
Kris