Trouble with SSD on SATA

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Thu Nov 17 11:03:30 UTC 2011

On 2011-11-16 18:22, Peter Maloney wrote:
> Willem,
>
> I can only guess, but...
>
> Is AHCI enabled in the bios? If you are not using 'fake-raid' for any
> disks, you should [depending on FreeBSD version, HBA, etc.] probably
> enable AHCI. Some servers actually come with SATA set in IDE mode. And
> if you are using zfs, the controller optimally should not be RAID at
> all. And if you have AHCI enabled already, try disabling it (losing hot
> swapping ability, and some performance).

ACHI is enabled otherwise I cannot used the last set of SATA connectors
with this MB. Controller for these connectors is CH9.

> What version of FreeBSD are you using? I had a terrible experience with
> ZFS on FreeBSD 8.2 release, and 8.2-stable-April2011. I would recommend
> upgrading to the latest 8-stable with cvsup.

I'm at most 1 month behind on STABLE, since I just upgrade in about that
frequency... Might vary a little on the amount of rumbling on the list.

> This thread seems related:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=24189
>
> The guy was using 8.2 release, and he downgraded to an old version of
> the driver to fix, saying that a patch also existed in 8-stable that
> fixes the problem.
>
> Are you using an expander?

No SATA expanders...

> What HBA / hard disk controller are you using?

A combi of CH9 and ARECA in PCI-X, disks are all exported a single disks.

Thanx for the suggestions....

-_WjW