Trouble with SSD on SATA

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 16 19:55:25 UTC 2011

Hi.

On 16.11.2011 18:12, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> I'm getting these:
>
> Nov 16 16:40:49 zfs kernel: ata6: port is not ready (timeout 15000ms)
> tfd = 00000080
> Nov 16 16:40:49 zfs kernel: ata6: hardware reset timeout
> Nov 16 16:41:50 zfs kernel: ata6: port is not ready (timeout 15000ms)
> tfd = 00000080
> Nov 16 16:41:50 zfs kernel: ata6: hardware reset timeout
>
> When inserting the tray with a SSD disk connected to that controller.
>
> Which is probably due to a BIOS upgrade....
> At least it started after upgrading the BIOS. So I'm asking SuperMicro
> for an older version.
>
> When this happens, the system sometimes panics, haven't written the
> details yet down right now. somewhere in get_devices...
>
> After the panic I really need to powerdown the machine, otherwise it
> boots but stalls at finding any disks. It does not just find no disks,
> it "freezes" at the point it should report the found disks in the
> bios-boot.
> So apparently the ata controller are left in a very confused state.
>
> Why is the controller found at boot, and works as it should.
> And why later it just starts generating these hardware resets??

Looking on messages, I would say that you are using AHCI controller with
old ata(4) driver. I would recommend you to try new ahci(4) driver. It
has better hot-plug support and also supports NCQ and some other
features. Note that disks connected to it will be reported as adaX
instead of adY.

--
Alexander Motin