Trouble with SSD on SATA

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Wed Nov 16 16:12:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm getting these:

Nov 16 16:40:49 zfs kernel: ata6: port is not ready (timeout 15000ms)
tfd = 00000080
Nov 16 16:40:49 zfs kernel: ata6: hardware reset timeout
Nov 16 16:41:50 zfs kernel: ata6: port is not ready (timeout 15000ms)
tfd = 00000080
Nov 16 16:41:50 zfs kernel: ata6: hardware reset timeout

When inserting the tray with a SSD disk connected to that controller.

Which is probably due to a BIOS upgrade....
At least it started after upgrading the BIOS. So I'm asking SuperMicro
for an older version.

When this happens, the system sometimes panics, haven't written the
details yet down right now. somewhere in get_devices...

After the panic I really need to powerdown the machine, otherwise it
boots but stalls at finding any disks. It does not just find no disks,
it "freezes" at the point it should report the found disks in the bios-boot.
So apparently the ata controller are left in a very confused state.

Why is the controller found at boot, and works as it should.
And why later it just starts generating these hardware resets??

--WjW