question on netstat statistics.

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:28:30 UTC 2011

On 15/11/2011 01:46, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:56:07PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
>> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I don't particularly care what the man page says, I just know what
>>> works.  :-)
>> If there is something in the man page that is not precise, I personally
>> am interested in any inconsistencies with reality so they can be fixed.
>> Even given your detailed explanation, I'm still not 100% clear on what,
>> if anything, is incorrect in the manual.
> FWIW, neither am I.  The OP seems to be basing his argument syntaxes
> based on what's in the man page, so if something is vague, confusing,
> or inaccurate, he will need to state clearly what it is that's an
> anomaly.
>
> My comment was more along the lines of: "if it's wrong in the man page,
> I'm really not that concerned" (e.g. file a PR and be done with it).
> I'm still trying to work out exactly what it is the OP wants
> statistics-wise on a per-interface basis.  I'm left thinking he wants
> "netstat -s" output per-interface, but that's not going to happen.

You are correct, my reading of the manpage suggested that per interface
stats should be available.

netstat -i | -I interface -s [-f protocol_family | -p protocol] [-M core]
             [-N system]
             Display per-interface statistics for each network protocol, for a
             particular protocol_family, or for a single protocol.

As that was incorrect then I do consider the manpage to need updating. I'll file a PR but I wasnt sure if this was correct behavior or not.

Thanks,
Vince