question on netstat statistics.

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Nov 15 01:46:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:56:07PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I don't particularly care what the man page says, I just know what
> > works.  :-)
>
> If there is something in the man page that is not precise, I personally
> am interested in any inconsistencies with reality so they can be fixed.
> Even given your detailed explanation, I'm still not 100% clear on what,
> if anything, is incorrect in the manual.

FWIW, neither am I.  The OP seems to be basing his argument syntaxes
based on what's in the man page, so if something is vague, confusing,
or inaccurate, he will need to state clearly what it is that's an
anomaly.

My comment was more along the lines of: "if it's wrong in the man page,
I'm really not that concerned" (e.g. file a PR and be done with it).
I'm still trying to work out exactly what it is the OP wants
statistics-wise on a per-interface basis.  I'm left thinking he wants
"netstat -s" output per-interface, but that's not going to happen.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |