FreeBSD on IBM X3550 M3

Gót András andrej at antiszoc.hu
Tue Nov 8 11:08:40 UTC 2011

Dear All,

To anyone who plan to use the machine in the subject and interested in
'what's in box' I made some printout saves. Actually my last FreeBSD
install was a FreeBSD 6.1 (6.2 now, and has a nice 790 days of uptime)
on an Intel branded server.

Printouts from IBM X3550 M3:
----------------------------

ipmitool sensor: http://www.antiszoc.hu/x3550m3/ipmitool_sensor.txt

ipmitool sdr: http://www.antiszoc.hu/x3550m3/ipmitool_sdr.txt

dmesg: http://www.antiszoc.hu/x3550m3/dmesg.txt

mfiutil show adapter:
http://www.antiszoc.hu/x3550m3/mfiutil_show_adapter.txt

actual kernel config: http://www.antiszoc.hu/x3550m3/X3550M3

NOTES on installing the machine:
--------------------------------

1) It comes with UEFI instead of a BIOS. I had to install from a real
USB CD/DVD, because the memstick image didn't work. I think the
installer would also work with the Virtual Media option, but there were
problem with arrow keys. It also occured on the UEFI screens, so I don't
think it's FreeBSD related. (Virtual Media option arrived later then I
could check the installer with it.)

2) The machine really boots slow, be patient. :)

3) Memory MUST BE installed in the order that's in the manual. It will
boot, but you'll get a 'mem err' message on the small diagnostic panel
in the front of the machine.

4) The IBM M5014 (LSI based) works fine with mfi(4) and mfiutil. Hot
inserting new drives and creating an array was 5 minutes (including
opening the disk packagings).

5) ACPI shutdown/restart etc. from the out-of-band management (IBM
calls it IMM) console works fine.

6) I couldn't include pf in the kernel, because in that case ipmi(4)
failed to load or find the interface. The pf and the mfip module loaded
from loader.conf.

Best,
Andras