FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64: Weirdness with LOCALE settings: ghostswitching in csh?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 4 06:50:00 UTC 2011

Am 11/03/11 23:48, schrieb Jeremy Chadwick:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 11:17:08PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I realised something weird in FreeBSD 10.-CURRENT/amd64 (CLANG
>> compiled), build as from today (buildworld).
>>
>> Working the whole day coding some pyhton scripts and committing the code
>> to my subversion server (most recent subversion from the ports
>> collection, the server is a FreeBSD 9.0-RC1/amd64 box, also system
>> compiled with CLANG, most recent as compiled world of today), suddenly,
>> oy of the blue, trying again to commit I get this error:
>>
>> svn: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
>> svn: warning: environment variable LC_CTYPE is de_DE.ISO-8859-1
>> svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
>>

>> Checking  csh shell setting with 'locale":
>> LANG=
>> LC_CTYPE="C"
>> LC_COLLATE="C"
>> LC_TIME="C"
>> LC_NUMERIC="C"
>> LC_MONETARY="C"
>> LC_MESSAGES="C"
>> LC_ALL=
>>

>> Checking my settings from /etc/csh.cshrc and ./.cshrc or .login reveals
>> localised settings for some of the locales as I need those:
>>
>> (set in $HOME/.cshrc)
>> setenv  LC_CTYPE        "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
>> setenv  LC_TIME         "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
>> setenv  LC_MONETARY     "de_DE.ISO-8859-1"
>>
>> What is going on?
>>
>> I realised this behaviour now several times, first time I thought I did
>> something and I couldn't remember, but this time, only two terminal
>> windows were opened and the whole day committing data to the repository
>> wasn't an issue.
>>
>> Is there an explanation for this?
>
> It sounds like a problem specific to the "client end", meaning your
> -CURRENT box.  If that's the case: shouldn't this mail have gone to
> freebsd-current@ instead of freebsd-stable@ ?  What am I missing?

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

It was intented to send the mail to CURRENT. Sorry, missed the listentry
by one row ... Can you please so kind and show mercy?

> As for your problem: your locale looks incorrect.  It's
> "de_DE.ISO8859-1".  Note that yours has an extra hyphen, which probably
> explains the error (sort of).
>
> $ ls -ld /usr/share/locale/de_DE*
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root      wheel     512 Sep 28 14:36 /usr/share/locale/de_DE.ISO8859-1/
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root      wheel     512 Sep 28 14:36 /usr/share/locale/de_DE.ISO8859-15/
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root      wheel     512 Sep 28 14:36 /usr/share/locale/de_DE.UTF-8/
>
> As for the fact that it's "random": I cannot explain why a sub-shell
> might get spawned in some cases but not others.

I corrected this. Sorry. I ffel a bit confused, since sometimes it is
ISO-8859-1 and sometimes ISO8859-1. I got confused again.

After correcting that, the locale variables has been set correctly.

I will check now wether this also influences this weird random behaviour.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Oliver