Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 29 20:41:11 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 13:20, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Paul Schmehl<pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com>wrote:
>
>> Or just follow the instructions.  If people really find that difficult
>>> I'm not sure any OS is going to be the answer long term.  If you do
>>> enough computer use you'll have to follow instructions at some point.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browser
>>> s.html
>>>
>>>   Imagine that.  And yet you can find numerous posts in questions from
>> people who struggle with it.  Must be stupid people then, huh?

Paul, this is a good example of the kind of vitriol that isn't really
helpful. Please tone it down.

To address the content of your concern, I've been using flash on FreeBSD
for a long time. It's gone through phases where it's been easier,
harder, more and less successful. At the moment it's working pretty
well, but I agree with you that it's not an ideal situation.

However regarding the documentation, the URL that was posted has been
stable for a long time ("years," can't tell you exactly how many).
However, like a lot of other topics there is stale documentation outside
of FreeBSD, and other generally bad advice that gets passed around from
user to user. That's a difficult problem for us to address directly.

>> Comparing Ubuntu and FreeBSD is a false choice

Yes, that's sort of my point. :)  Ubuntu is literally in a class by
itself in terms of both the OOB and long-term use experiences. So if all
you want is a Unix'y desktop OS (and you can't afford/don't want a mac),
use it, and be happy. If you have other goals (such as learning Unix
internals generally, or a specific OS) then you have other areas you can
focus on, such as FreeBSD.

Doug

			-- OK Go