Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:37:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com>wrote:

> Go to Youtube and see if you can watch a video.  Ubuntu does it out of the
> box.  FreeBSD only does it after you tweak and tweak and tweak and google
> and google and google.

Or just follow the instructions.  If people really find that difficult I'm
not sure any OS is going to be the answer long term.  If you do enough
computer use you'll have to follow instructions at some point.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

Java is a different matter.  Handbook should be updated to use the iced tea
plugin since the other java plugin doesn't work on new FF plus it's other
deficiencies.

Comparing Ubuntu and FreeBSD is a false choice and if you want a rough
equivalent of ubuntu, use PCBSD.  I don't agree with what you say is so
hard, but there are options to take most of that overhead away.

--
Adam Vande More