Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 17:56:11 UTC 2011

2011/3/29 Nikola Pavlović <nzp at riseup.net>:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:59:24PM +0200, Christian Walther wrote:
[...]
> As others have pointed out NVidia drivers for FreeBSD have been
> available for some time, and they work just fine.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out, everybody. :)

> As far as eye candy goes, I assure you KDE Plasma bells and whistles
> (compositing etc.) work just fine even on a 9 year old Pentium 4 w/ 1GB
> RAM and an NVidia GeForce 6200.  I'm actually amazed how well it works,
> it's faster than XFCE on Slackware was...  Weird stuff. O.o (I'm not
> really implying anything, just noticing something I didn't expect.)

Nice. :)
Maybe it's time to give KDE4 another try. Its' graphics performance
seems be to have been improved with Release 4.2 anyway (at least I've
been told), and my last test was with an early 4.0 release. My wifes'
laptop is on Linux for some time now, and I already noticed that
nspluginwrapper + flash plugin are stable even after updates.