zfs, nfs and zil

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:57:43 UTC 2011

>> I'm mounting the FreeBSD-server from a couple of vmware esxi 4.1
>> servers using nfs, but when there is alot of i/o the server becomes
>> unresponsive, easily triggered by installing ie. ms-sql. The server
>> itself is up but is not reachable from the network. When I take the
>> nic down and up again connection to the network is reestablished
>> (ip-wise).
>>
> So, is it just NFS that wedges or all IP activity and does NFS come
> back to life after the "ifconfig XX up"?

All ip-activitiy, dns, ssh etc. on the interface (ip-address) that is
mounted. So whenever I test I log in to the server using the other
ip-address and whenever it stops responding to ping or my screen
session stops I reload the interfaces and the traffic resumes.

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare

twitter.com/kometen